This is what i was working on last night. The Woodland Fairy Tiara. The headband is covered with cream silk, then i beaded it. The inside will be lined with white/cream felt once i have the clear back combs put in. The beads are from my stash, and the purls and jewels are from the necklaces i bought for the pirate treasure. The copper wire is stripped electrical wire.
50 cobs are now sewn, Today i will be cutting the dowels to size and covering them to the handle part with the green fabric sewn into tubes. I then will be sewing the ends of the cobs onto the fabric handles. The dowels will go right to the top of the cobs.
I have not blogged for a while, I have been busy though! This is the wand for the Woodland Fairy. Made with wire and marbles. This is the bottom half of the treasure chest, This measures 95cm by 48cm and the sides are 35cm by 48cm. Still a long way to go, It will have a false bottom so that the jewels and treasure will be at the top and spilling over. What i have been working on the last few days is sewing, A long time since i used the machine! I have designed Corn on the cobs. They will be stuffed with the fabric off cuts and shredded newspaper to go along with the theme of recycling and reusing. When i have finished sewing on the machine they will have the leaves hand stitched to the corn, at the moment you can see the pins. These measure 30cm high, and will be on dowels. 50 of them to make. My next job will be the costumes. I still have to finish the dinosaur it is coming together nicely.
Knitted baby booties, mittens and hats all waiting to be sewn up.as well as a crochet blanket. These were all made since Saturday when i was given by a friend all this lovely yarn for my charity makes. I did not ask for it and it was a wonderful surprise. I am loving all the wonderful colours and textures. This is the rest of this lovely yarn. Some of it is 3 ply, 4 ply, 5 ply and 8 ply as well as some mohair. I am one very lucky lady.
The stocking and coat hanger wire wings are now finished. They have hot glued plastic flowers and leaves and gold reflective sequins and sparkly stones both on the front and back and ribbon streamers. All it needs now is the clear elastic arm bands which I will add when ready to wear. Back view. Close up.
What I have been working on this week are the school play props and things. Another tiara idea, wired beads on a plastic head band. Cardboard mock up of a treasure chest, a paper mock up of a gold bar and fairy wings in progress. The wings are made of 2 coat hangers bent and covered with stockings, I will add ribbon streamers and fix the flowers onto the centre and decorate the wings with sparkle. The Tiara is finished. And I found a lovely wooden seat and back child's chair, I will fix the cushion onto it with elastic underneath.
This is another idea I have been playing with, This is a shortened much smaller version of the final thing, which will be wings for a girl woodland fairy costume. In this much smaller version i have used florists wire. In the actual version i will be using recycled electrical wire in many different thicknesses. This is one wing. The wires have been put into groups of 3 and the lengths have been staggered. I first taped each bundle separately then taped them all together. Using whatever I have to make the ends curl, in this case, a lid of a glue pot, I then tape the circles around. They are now beginning to look like seed pods. Using iron on interfacing One underneath and one on top,I enclosed a couple of beads to represent seeds. You can colour in the interfacing before hand if you wish to give it more pop. I then have cut off the excess interfacing and you now have branches of honesty seeds which you can now bend the wires to whatever pleasing shape you like. I have only bent the bottom one for now. The ends of the wire has been curled and on the actual project they will have beads and the ends will be away from the girls back.
This is what I am working on today. A tiara from recycled materials. My son has these sports powder drinks and i have saved it to use but until now I did not know what for. I have decided to make a tiara. First i peeled off the label and was surprised to see a lovely strip of paper to use underneath. I folded the paper into sections and cut out shapes. I then taped the paper onto the container and used a marker to transfer the pattern. I cut out the top section first so that i could hold it then cut out the shapes. This is done quite roughly, i will fine tune it after and smooth out the lines. I then cut off the bottom part. Now I can spend my time smoothing it out. I will finish it by decorating it with hot glue beads and findings, flowering gum nuts etc.